What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
Buying a solid used car is something that can save you a lot of money, both in the short term and the long term. That said, it can feel like a daunting task for those without experience in what to look for when buying a used car. That’s why our “Buying a Used Car Checklist” below is useful when asking questions about your prospective used cars. Get a reliable vehicle with almost all the features of a new one, for far less outlay, at Cornerstone Plymouth near Minneapolis. If you have any questions about our lineup, feel free to get in touch with us!
How to Buy a Used Car From a Dealer
To start our used car buying guide, consider these steps:
- Set a Budget: Before anything, set out ironclad rules on how much you are willing to spend, not just on the car payment, but insurance, gasoline, and maintenance as well. A tip to keep in mind is that a monthly payment shouldn’t exceed 10% of your monthly income. Get an idea of monthly payments with our payment calculator.
- Find the Right Used Car: There are a couple of factors you should consider when learning how to buy a used car. It should fit your budget, match your mileage expectations, and fit some of your key requirements, like having a vehicle history report. We’ll cover what else to check for when buying a used car in the next section. Start by compiling a list of cars you’re interested in and compare that to what’s offered at the dealership. Then, do a deep dive into the reliability reviews from sites like Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book, and compare what price the vehicle sold for in your area.
- Test Drive and Inspect the Models: It can take determination to find the right used car that matches your style. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the vehicle and have it inspected by a trusted mechanic, and take it out for a test drive to verify the performance you’re taking on Minnetonka-area roads.
- Used Car Financing and Other Fees: Once you’ve found a used car that works, take your time to explore your loan options, and be sure to factor in other fees and credits like state sales tax, registration fees, and the trade-in value of your previous vehicle. When completing the deal, you’ll also want to make sure you’re covered with any applicable warranties and car insurance plans.
What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
Once you’re at the point of having found a solid candidate, consider these questions to insure you get the best vehicle for you near Maple Grove:
- Is there a history of maintenance?
- Is the vehicle history report available?
- Do the amenities and features work like they’re supposed to?
- What is the ownership history?
- What is the vehicle’s mileage?
- Are there any current recalls on the vehicle?
- How was the vehicle priced?
- Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Do you have the title in hand?
- Is the car as is, or is it under warranty?
- Does this vehicle affect your insurance premiums?
Find Out More About What to Look for When Buying a Used Car from Cornerstone Plymouth
Whether it’s trading in a financed car or learning the basics of how to trade in a car, we can help you with every step of the buying process near Minnetonka.
More from Cornerstone Plymouth
2022 Model Shown A versatile and capable SUV, the 2020 Ford Escape is popular on the Minneapolis roads for a reason. With several engine options that include both traditional gas-powered engines and hybrid drivetrain systems, along with a variety of performance features, this Ford SUV is sure to enhance your daily drives. But, when it…
The 2020 Nissan Rogue is a top pick for families and adventure-seekers around Minneapolis. Filled to the brim with comfort features, technology, and open space, the 2020 Nissan Rogue interior is perfect for those going on long road trips or needing to pack the whole crew in to run errands around Maple Grove. See all the…
If you’re thinking about purchasing a Ford F-150 for your next Maple Grove vehicle, you’ll want to consider a few different factors – cost, bed size, cab options, engine, and more. However, you should also be considering the Ford F-150 curb weight as part of your buying process. What is the weight of a Ford F-150…