How to Check Car Fluids
If you’ve noticed that your check engine light is on, it might be time to check your car fluids. At Cornerstone Plymouth, our certified technicians are happy to check and replace your car fluids and handle all your affordable auto maintenance needs near Minnetonka, but we’re also here to help if you’d like to handle it on your own. Find out how to check your car fluids, and count on us for auto maintenance and repairs near Minneapolis.
Check Engine Oil
Follow our guide to checking your oil levels, and take the following steps:
- Find the dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick and clean it with a clean cloth.
- Check to see if the oil is low, and add more oil until full.
- If oil is dark or gritty, get an oil change.
- Follow recommended maintenance schedule.
- Find the overflow plastic container next to the radiator
- If the fluid is below the recommended level, fill with 50% water and 50% antifreeze.
Check Power Steering Fluid
- Find the power steering fluid tank near the firewall at the base of the windshield.
- Make sure the level is between minimum and maximum.
- If not, go to a trusted technician for power steering fluid.
Check Brake Fluid
- Locate the clear brake fluid tank
- Make sure level is between minimum and maximum.
- Fill if low, but then take it to a technician to have your brakes inspected.
Check Windshield Washer Fluid
- Pop the hood and look for the tank with the windshield wiper icon.
- Add windshield washer fluid until the tank is full.
Check Transmission Fluid
Follow transmission fluid check guide, which includes the following steps:
- Locate the dipstick.
- Pull out the dipstick.
- Check fluid quality.
- Check fluid level.
Get Your Car Fluids Changed Near Brooklyn Park
Cornerstone Plymouth is your source for affordable auto service and helpful auto maintenance advice near Minnetonka. We’re your chosen dealership at 3901 Vinewood Lane in Plymouth, MN, and you can count on us for advice on things to do in the area, including the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden! Stick around and find out more car maintenance information, including this guide on the importance of an alternator.
More on Car Maintenance
Imagine it’s January, the coldest day of the year, and you climb into your freezing car and turn the key, expecting the glorious sound of combustion. Instead, you hear clicking, maybe a little catch, and then nothing. It’s late, you’re tired, and now you’re trapped in a Maple Grove parking lot with a dead battery….
Every car has them and, if you plan to survive the Minnetonka winter, they need to work well. We’ll teach you how to tell when your wiper blades are ready for a change, how to do the job yourself, and what it will cost if you decide you want someone else to handle the…
Colder weather is coming to folks in Maple Grove and Minnetonka, which means it’s time to make sure your car battery is in good shape. But how long is a car battery meant to last? In ideal conditions, a battery could last as long as six years, but there are various factors that can impact…