How Much Can a 2021 Ford Explorer Tow?
The Ford Explorer is a highly capable vehicle on Minneapolis roads, so just how much can a Ford Explorer tow? The 2021 Ford Explorer towing capacity reaches an impressive 5,600 pounds when properly equipped. Plus, this SUV is built with smart technology that maximizes power and control over the Maple Grove roads – along with tons of options to customize your driving experience. Find out all about the Ford Explorer towing capacity with Cornerstone Plymouth, and take your test drive today!
Ford Explorer Engines
The Ford Explorer lineup includes powerhouse engine options ranging from 4-cylinder to V6 to hybrid engines. And though each presents its own unique specs, all engines deliver heavy-duty towing chops and robust horsepower for your Minnetonka travels.
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: The base engine offers 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, along with a towing capacity up to 5,300 pounds when properly equipped.
- 3.0L EcoBoost® V6: Technology like twin turbos and direct injection boost power to 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque on Platinum trims, while the ST trims generate 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. When powered by this V6, the Explorer can tow up to 5,600 pounds.
- 3.3L Hybrid: The hybrid powertrain may be known for its fuel-efficient capabilities, but the Explorer Limited Hybrid still manages a hefty 5,000-pound towing capacity.
Ford Explorer Towing Features
Beyond the Ford Explorer towing capacity, this SUV was designed with smart technology to enhance your safety and control while hauling heavy loads. Take a look at some of our favorite features.
- Rear-wheel drive: The rear-wheel drive configuration not only offers a sportier feel, but it also improves handling and towing capacity overall.
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: This system automatically adjusts your braking and power to maximize stability while towing.
- Sidewind Stabilization: When driving in windy conditions, this system will keep you in total control.
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Choose from driving modes like Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow to get the best possible performance in any terrain.
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: This system utilizes gyroscopic sensors to monitor both yaw and roll rates, which helps to prevent slipping and steering issues. Curve Control is also included to maintain stability in tight corners.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Available for 2.3L EcoBoost® and 3.3L hybrid engines and standard with the 3.0L EcoBoost® engine, this towing package will maximize your Ford Explorer towing capacity.
Find Out More with Cornerstone Plymouth
You know how much a Ford Explorer can tow, so what else can the latest model do for you? Contact us at Cornerstone Plymouth in Plymouth for more information about the Ford lineup or start shopping online with our Click Your Ride service!
More from Cornerstone Plymouth
SUVs are reliable for city or off-road driving and can even tow an impressive amount of weight. The Nissan Rogue takes the average SUV on the market to a new level, offering a maximum towing capacity of 1,350 pounds. With this capacity, you can tow mountain bikes and kayaks for an outdoor field day…
The 2019 Nissan Murano towing capacity has a maximum towing capacity of 1,500 pounds. Whether you choose AWD or FWD, the towing capacity remains the same. Not only can you tow small boats or campers on Minnetonka roads, but your Murano will also catch the eyes of your neighbors. Find out more and contact…
Are your current cabin features dragging down your commute? It is probably time to upgrade to an affordable used vehicle that will enhance your commute. A lot of Plymouth drivers feel that the Nissan Murano interior makes their commutes in Minneapolis smoother. The Murano offers drivers & passengers a comfortable cabin, convenient amenities, and…